He began to shake is head no. As I got closer and put the bag out further, he simply replied, “No, thanks.” I was a bit surprised, so I made sure to let him know that there was food and drink in the bag. He just kept shaking his head and repeating over and over, “No, thanks. I’m fine.”
The light was green, so I kept moving, but I was a bit stunned. Here was a man sitting on the side of the road asking for help. Yet he refused the offer of food and drink. Was he hoping for money? Was he concerned I was going to have a Gospel tract in the bag? How could he express a need and then refuse help?
As I drove on, God brought a picture to mind. Here we were celebrating the day Christ died for our sins. We had a need and God meet that need on the cross. Yet, ever day, with cardboard signs in our hands begging for help, we say, “No, thanks. I’m fine” to the help He is offering.
I need Jesus. I need Jesus every day. I want to accept what God is offering. I was thankful for the reminder.
No comments:
Post a Comment