Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Investing that Time


I have two really close friends at school. We go out almost every Friday night we have class. We spend time talking and laughing. We carpool to school together on Saturday and always stop for Starbucks and Vons sandwiches on the way to cover breakfast and lunch. Spending this time together has established really wonderful friendships.

Two week ago, a couple of our classmates asked us if we wanted to go out after class on Friday.  I was not sure how it was going to go. Dynamics would be different than in our little group of three. I knew there had been some misunderstandings early on between some of the people. Would there still be lively conversation? Would there still be depth? Would people get along?

The evening went great. The conversation covered a wide-range of thought-provoking topics. In fact, the evening went so well that we lost track of time and didn’t get back to the house until after eleven. On our drive home, one of my friends reflected on the evening. He pointed out that spending time getting to know someone helps you to understand the person and makes it easier for you to care for him or her.

I thought that was a great observation. I know that has been true in my experience. I have found people difficult to understand or hard to relate to, but then I have invested more time and gained more understanding of their past or personality or gifts and suddenly it is a whole lot easier to love that person.

As I have reflected back on that night, I have thought about the application to my relationship with Jesus. There is a whole lot about Jesus that is hard for me to understand. I demonstrate a lack of trust in Him at times. I question His motives. The only answer I can find is to spend more time with Him. The more time I invest in my relationship with Jesus, the better I will understand Him and the better I will love Him.

Investing that time. Asking the questions. Really getting to know someone. Those are the things that move us toward love.

No comments:

Post a Comment