The sermon on Sunday was out of Mark 9:14-29 where the man brings his son to have a demon cast out, but the disciples are unable to cast it out. This father was so desperate. He was without hope, especially when the disciples could not cast out the spirit in Jesus’ name. The part of the story that always resonates with me is in verse 24 where in response to Jesus reminder to the man that all things are possible when a person believes, “The father instantly cried out, “I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!”
I believe all things are possible because of Jesus. I believe God has good plans for me. I believe that what the Bible says about Jesus and what the Bible says about me are true. BUT, help my unbelief. When the plans I have made fall apart, it is hard to believe. When dreams shatter, even those I believe are from Jesus, my belief is shaky. When prayers go unanswered for decades, my belief falters. I do believe, but help me to overcome my unbelief.
In church on Sunday I was sitting next to three of my roommates from Germany. The whole weekend was a reminder of all the ways God had blessed us during our time in Germany. Sometimes it has been easy to focus on how things have become more difficult since our return to the States. Throughout the weekend we made the choice to celebrate the past and point each other toward God’s goodness in the presence and hope for the future. Standing next to them on Sunday, I was reminded to let God write my story. I would have never picked to return to Southern California for university, but God wrote a different and better story. I never imagined I would invest my life in students, but God’s story has brought great joy. I would never have pictured serving in Germany as a missionary, but it is a chapter in my story I will cherish forever. Through the sermon and through the presence of my roommates, I was reminded of the good story God is writing in me. Help my unbelief. As I head into a new chapter as I prepare to move to Thailand, I am reminded God is writing a good story in my life. I do believe, but help me to overcome my unbelief.
No comments:
Post a Comment