Before Jesus started his public ministry, he went to the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-2). Before Elijah saw God and was able to resume his work as a prophet, he went to the wilderness (1 Kings 19:4). It was in the wilderness that Jesus and Elijah dealt with the question that had been posed to Eve in the Garden, “Did God really say…?” (Genesis 3:1).
Jesus chose to answer each question with Scripture affirming that God had really said what He said. Elijah just wanted to die and he needed to be strengthened by angels before he could continue his journey to find the answer to the question.
Did God really say? This is an important question to answer. The wilderness raises that question. In the wilderness, an answer to that question must be given.
My Mom was diagnosed with cancer almost two weeks ago. This news launched me further into a wilderness I was already journeying through. Transitioning to Thailand, launching EMBARK, and now my Mom’s diagnosis forced me to face the question. Did God really say?
Did God really say He would never leave me or forsake me? Did God really say He could heal? Did God really say He would work everything together for good? Did God really say to be strong and courageous because He is with me? Did God really say He had plans to prosper and not to harm, to give hope and a future?
God really did say. He has said so much. In this wilderness, I must cling to what God has said and ask Him how to live that out when fear and hope intermingle, when I feel alone and so far away, when all I want is to be present for my Mom.
I believe what God says. This does not make it easy. I don’t always know what it should look like, but I believe what God says. I believe this wilderness will better equip me for what lies ahead because I believe what God says. Now I have to walk that out.
I start by praying for my Mom’s healing.

No comments:
Post a Comment