Sunday morning I woke up with a plan to hike to the Buddhist temple in my town of Doi Saket. I pass the base of the mountain where the temple is perched every day. There is a giant gold Buddha that stands atop the mountain and I can see the tops of the temple buildings from the road that runs by my house.
Since I have moved to Doi Saket, I have wanted to hike up to the temple. I had seen the entrance and the 100 plus stairs that lead to the top. So I was curious about what the temple really looked like and I, honestly, thought it would be a good workout to walk there.
As I walked toward the temple, I was passing many people on the street. Some were heading to the market in town. Others were sitting at local food stands. I was smiling and greeting people in Thai. I had a mix of Chris Tomlin songs playing on my Ipod and they all seemed to be talking about Jesus fame in the world and His love for the world.
I got to the steps that lead up to the temple and I was already a sweaty mess. I began to climb, my legs burning after about 30 steps. The closer I got to the top, the more I realized I could not enter the temple grounds and explore. I was in workout gear. I was a sweaty mess. I was not feeling like my presence there would be very reverent.
So when I finally reached the top, I peeked my head through the arch to see a bit of the temple and then I turned around to face the view of Doi Saket. Suddenly, I was struck by the image of Jesus looking over Jerusalem after His triumphant entry on Palm Sunday. I pictured him weeping over Jerusalem, “How I wish today that you of all people would understand the way to peace. But now it is too late, and peace is hidden from your eyes” (Luke 19:42).
A flood of thoughts hit me as I looked over the town where I have been placed. You see when I moved to Thailand, I did not have a vision for reaching Thai people with the Gospel. I was coming here to start EMBARK and to develop ministry among international student populations, I just did not have a vision for reaching Thai people. Since moving to Doi Saket, God has begun to expand my vision.
I pass a school every night on my way home from work where there are always young men playing soccer, volleyball, and basketball. I picture the young men participating in EMBARK heading down to the field after dinner to be able to build relationships and talk about Jesus with this gathering of sports enthusiasts.
There is a new coffee shop that has opened in Doi Saket. I drive by it every day and think that it is the perfect space to begin English classes offered to people in the local community. I picture the air in this small coffee shop filled with the chatter of Thai and English and Jesus.
So when I turned around to look at Doi Saket on Sunday morning and thought about Jesus’ journey into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday and then his grief over their lack of understanding, I knew it was no accident the EMBARK House has been placed in Doi Saket. I believe it is no coincidence that I live in Doi Saket. I believe God can transform this community because we live there.
As I slowly descended down the temple steps, I prayed that God would use me and use the presence of EMBARK in Doi Saket to bring the way of peace there. I prayed that Jesus would be known in that community and His Church established there. I walked home through some back roads and came upon some of the most impoverished homes I have seen since I moved to Thailand. I prayed that God would use our presence in Doi Saket to rescue and restore people, both physically and spiritually.
God took me on a Palm Sunday pilgrimage that ended with me wanting to be part of sharing Jesus with the people of Doi Saket.


WUNDERBAR WUNDERBAR WUNDERBAR!!! Obviously, I lack the words to explain the feelings that welled up in my heart as I read this post. Praise the Lord for the vision He is giving you, for the heart for your town, and for placing you JUST where He wants you!!! I can't wait to see what He is going to do through YFC and EMBARK in Doi Saket! I would love to sit in the coffee shop there and hear the sounds of Thai and English and Jesus!
ReplyDeleteI heart what Kari said, and it's what my heart says, too. He's so uncomfortably good.
ReplyDelete