Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Who are you?


I had the opportunity to work with the three and four year olds class at Community Bible Study last week. When I walked in, the children quickly tried to get a read on me. I was asked my name and where I lived.  They told me a bit about themselves. Then one girl asked, “Who are you?” I gave her a puzzled look because I had already given her my name and said I was there to help in the class for the morning. Her follow up question was, “Are you a mom?” I said no. Then she asked again, “Who are you?”

I did not fit into this young girl’s identity categories. Here was a woman who works with kids, but is not a mom. I have to admit that her struggle to assign me an identity actually shook me a bit. I found myself thinking throughout the day “Who am I?”

On Sunday the sermon was out of Luke 8:26-39. In this passage Jesus’ one recorded question to this demon-possessed man was “What is your name?” (verse 30). The man did not respond, but rather the demons that lived inside of him. This man’s identity had been swallowed, lost. The pastor challenged us to think about the new name, new identity we have been given when we became followers of Jesus.

So I have continued to reflect on “Who am I?” and “What is my name?” Daughter. Beloved. Friend. Follower. Sister. Servant. Rescued. I am asking God to remind me of who I am and the identity He has given me. I need to be reminded. 

1 comment: