Friday, January 25, 2013

The Lord's Power in Action


From my first dreams of EMBARK, I pictured training young leaders from all different cultural backgrounds. I knew this would bring some unique challenges and I knew it would mean a significant financial investment since many of the young leaders I desired to equip would not have the means to pay for EMBARK.

What I hadn’t pictured was how this dream would come together. From my early postings about EMBARK last spring, Ellian has expressed an interest in being trained through EMBARK. She is a young leader with Youth for Christ in the Gambia. She launched her own English language training program for both old and young in her community. She has a desire to be able to share the Gospel with anyone, anywhere no matter what his or her cultural background.

There have been so many hurdles Ellian has had to overcome to participate in EMBARK. She has walked through a discernment process that had her choosing between attending university and participating in EMBARK. She believes God has led her to EMBARK. She has persevered through internet outages for several weeks delaying her application process, postponing her involvement in EMBARK for six months because the funding was not available, and traveling to another country for a week to make four trips to the Thai Consulate to secure her visa.

Bini first heard about EMBARK from her father who is the National Director of Nepal Youth for Christ at the end of October. Bini has been volunteering with YFC for many years and has been trying to determine the next steps in her life. She loves teaching and she has a vision of taking all she learns through EMBARK and bringing it back to her community in Nepal. Bini has committed to return to Nepal to serve in leadership with Nepal Youth for Christ when she completes the EMBARK training. Bini also persevered through obstacles to be part of EMBARK, including multiple trips to the Thai Consulate and only six weeks to raise funds for EMBARK.

Both of these women are young leaders who desire to follow Jesus, be equipped, and gift back what they learn to their community. So when it looked like it was going to be impossible for them to participate in EMBARK because of funding, I was discouraged. I was told the time was too short for their funding to be raised. I heard that January was the worst time of year to raise funds because it was right after Christmas. I knew we were faced with an impossible task.

So I expected the door to close. Even though I was praying, asking others to pray, and asking people to give, I really couldn’t see how it could all come together in just three weeks. I thought maybe these women would be denied their visas and that would close the door. Instead, they were told they would be granted their visas if their plane tickets were purchased. This pushed me to a crisis of faith. Should we purchase their tickets in the belief that the money needed for EMBARK would be provided or should we cancel their involvement in EMBARK?

Since I knew my prayer team was already praying, when I saw the need I wrote to my prayer team and asked them to give. Then I had my regular time of journaling, reading my Bible, and praying. I read Psalm 107:23-32-

Some went off to sea in ships, plying the trade routes of the world.
They, too, observed the Lord’s power in action,
his impressive works on the deepest seas.
He spoke, and the winds rose, stirring up the waves.
Their ships were tossed to the heavens and plunged again to the depths; 
    
the sailors cringed in terror.
They reeled and staggered like drunkards and were at their wits’ end.
 “Lord, help!” they cried in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress.
He calmed the storm to a whisper and stilled the waves.
What a blessing was that stillness as he brought them safely into harbor!
Let them praise the Lord for his great love

and for the wonderful things he has done for them.
Let them exalt him publicly before the congregation
    
and before the leaders of the nation.

It was exactly what I needed to hear on Tuesday morning. I identified so much with the Psalm. I felt tossed about and at my wits’ end. I was crying out, “Lord, help!” Now I was waiting to see if He would bring the blessing of stillness and safe passage into harbor.

The response from my prayer team was overwhelming. Over two-thirds of the money needed was given in the first 24 hours. It was the Lord’s power in action through His people. I was watching the impossible take place. There became no doubt in my mind, Ellian’s mind, or Bini’s mind that God was at work and we should move forward with purchasing their tickets and securing their visas.

Now I am exalting God publicly before the congregation and before the leaders of multiple nations to tell them about what God is doing for Ellian, for Bini, for EMBARK, and for His glory. God has worked through His people and His power has been displayed. God makes the impossible possible. It will be exciting to see what God has planned for all of us in the months ahead because of what He made possible in the last week. Thank you for being such a significant part of this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment