Monday, January 27, 2014

Wedding Day Servanthood


Something unexpected happened when I attended my friend Jick’s wedding on Saturday. We had been eagerly anticipating this day since I first arrived in Thailand two years ago. Jick and Top had already been dating for six years. They knew they wanted to get married, but were waiting on timing to allow for it to become a reality.

Jick was my first Thai friend in Chiang Mai. She was willing to ask me the hard questions and serve as a cultural bridge into the Thai community. Jick has worked for Youth for Christ Asia Pacific as the office administrator and the personal assistant to the Area Director for eight years. She is detailed, articulate, and hard-working. Many nights I would drive by the office and see the lights still on as Jick finished some project. I would stop to chide her to head home and find Top working side-by-side with her.

Top works as a designer for Our Daily Bread in Chiang Mai. He is creative, understanding, and loves board games. Jick and Top are a perfect compliment to one another. So I was overjoyed to find out they had finally set a date and that they would be getting married at a time when I could attend the wedding.

My trip back to the States and our time visiting the EMBARK 3 girls in Korea was planned around
being back for Jick and Top’s wedding. We landed late Friday night and we were up early Saturday morning to head to the ceremony. It was absolutely beautiful. Outdoors, under a tree over 100 years old, Jick and Top said their vows, honored their parents, and affirmed their love for God and one another. The wedding was a beautiful celebration full of laughter and heart-felt thanksgiving to God.

What I had not expected on this day was to be served so extravagantly. Living as a foreigner in another country, I don’t expect people to cater to me. I recognize that if I want to be able to communicate, I need to learn Thai rather than my neighbors learning English. I am a guest and it is my responsibility to move toward the culture I am living in.

There were only five native English speakers at the wedding on Saturday. I anticipated there would be a lot about the service I would not understand. Instead, Jick and Top had arranged for a translator for us. The five of us received headsets and were able to listen to the ceremony translated into English. I was so moved by this act of generosity so we could more fully participate in their day.

I sat down to lunch at the reception, knowing it would be a risk to eat the food. I am very allergic to MSG and most of the food prepared in Thailand contains MSG. I get violently ill, so I had planned to eat carefully or refrain from eating much at the reception. Instead, a friend came up behind me to let me know Jick had arranged a special meal for me that would be ready shortly. In just a few minutes, mounds of food arrived at my seat that had been especially prepared for me. I was overwhelmed.

This was Jick and Top’s special day. The day was about the commitment they had made to one another before God and before those of us who had the privilege of being witnesses to this day. They lived out this commitment to love, not just to one another, but to their guests as well.

1 John 4:7-12, “Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love. God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins. Dear friends, since God loved us that much, we surely ought to love each other. No one has ever seen God. But if we love each other, God lives in us, and his love is brought to full expression in us.”

Jick and Top had every reason to think about themselves on their wedding day. Instead, they were a clear example of their love for God and how that is expressed to one another and to their guests. God’s love was brought to full expression in them as they thought to generously serve their friends and family. It was an honor to be a witness to and recipient of that kind of love. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a beautiful story of friendship and love. I feel so blessed to know you Kristi and get to brush up against your life of service! Praying for Jick and Top and rejoicing with you in their display of God's love.

    ReplyDelete