Sunday, March 2, 2014

Out of Control


I had to push down the panic as soon as I hit the water. It didn’t help that the life vest didn’t fit properly and felt like it had risen up around my neck to strangle me. It also didn’t help that my mask was too loose and the nosepiece had instantly filled with water, which I had immediately inhaled. More than all of this, I had just jumped straight into the unknown, into a sea that was well beyond my control.

The last time I had gone snorkeling was when I was 15 in a protected bay in the Philippines. This was the open ocean. The waves kept coming and I had to remain aware of the currents. Before we jumped in, we had just received the description of five sea creatures to avoid touching (although only one of them was life-threatening, we were told). I was trying to be brave and play it cool, but I just kept thinking, “I just want to survive the next hour.”

On our first stop of this snorkeling trip, I just kept telling myself not to panic and enjoy the experience. I wrestled my lifejacket for the whole hour and was constantly having to flip on my back to empty my mask, so I could avoid the feeling of drowning. Yet, I would have these moments when I would get lost in the beauty of the fish in such vibrant colors it was breathtaking. When the purple jellyfish the size of a volleyball swam into view, I was nervous and amazed all at the same time. The feeling of being out of control was worth the adventure I was experiencing.

The second stop had even stronger currents and less visibility in places, but I had traded lifejackets, adjusted my mask, and was starting to feel some peace about the experience. I still recognized that at any moment I could be pulled by a wave or run into a creature I didn’t want to see that close up, but not being in control meant I could see something few people in the world get to see. I saw “Nemo” swimming through the anemones and giant clams with purple, blue, and green “lips” inches from my face.

Later that day, we went kayaking. I was in the front, so Lana was steering. I had never kayaked before (or canoed for that matter), so I was feeling out of my element. We turned the corner into the open ocean and started to be buffeted by the waves and the wake from the longboats. I kept asking Lana to tell me where we were going. I thought knowing my direction would reduce my anxiety. She replied that she didn’t know because it would depend on the direction of the waves. I didn’t like the feeling of being blind and not being in control of where we were going.

I recognize that I like the feeling of being in control. I like to believe that I am setting my direction. I like to believe that if I am taking risks, they are well calculated. The reality is that this is an illusion. I am not in control of my life. God throws in the unexpected. Other people make choices that impact me. I live in a big ocean where I am being tossed around trying to have some semblance of order. The more I seek to control, the less I enjoy the experience. When I am able to acknowledge that my life is not my own, I can embrace the adventure a bit more.

Job 23:12-14 says, “I have not departed from His commands, but have treasured His words more than daily food. But once He has made His decision, who can change His mind? Whatever He wants to do, He does. So He will do to me whatever He has planned. He controls my destiny.” What a terrifying and comforting thought. As humbling and awe-inspiring as the ocean is, God is more.

I was trying to teach my nieces to have a healthy fear of the ocean when I was in California this Christmas. We were working on helping them not to be afraid to get in the water, but to still recognize the power of the waves and the need to have a supervising adult with them. This is where I want to be with God. I don’t want to be afraid to jump into life with Him, but I also want to acknowledge His power and His ability to do whatever He wants with me.

My life is not mine to control. God is the one who controls my destiny. And so I leap from the boat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment