Monday, January 5, 2015

Love Expels Fear


Every once in awhile, our human relationships give us insight into our relationship with God. I really love my nieces. However, I also really love my personal space. There were nine of us staying at my parents for five days over the holidays. Once the house was full, the plan was for me to sleep on the couch in the living room.

However, that first night my nephew got sick and there was a lot of activity throughout the house in an effort to care for him well. I realized there was no place in the house where I could close the door and be by myself.

So I decided to bunk in with my nieces. I wanted to be out of the way so my brother and his wife could take care of their boy without being worried about waking me up. My dad blew up an air mattress, and while the girls were asleep, I moved into their room and took up residence on their floor. Both girls are deep sleepers and didn’t really stir for most of the night.

At around 6 in the morning, I heard Abby cry out. It was clear she was having some kind of bad dream. I saw her sit up in bed. So I sat up and made eye contact with her. She had a visible reaction when she saw me. Her whole body relaxed. Her face lit up in a giant smile. Whatever fear had shocked her awake was instantly gone when she caught sight of me.

As Abby snuggled back down in her bed, I got up and began to tuck her blankets in around her. I smoothed her hair and kissed her forehead. We never said a word, but there was such peace, delight, and contentment that spilled out of every pore of her body.

When I crawled back into bed, I thought about what a difference it had made for Abby to see someone who loves her and will keep her safe when she woke from her bad dream. It gave me a bit of a picture of how God and I interact when I am afraid. Catching sight of Him brings a sense of peace and assurance in the midst of my worry and fear.

1 John 4:17-18a says, “And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect. So we will not be afraid on the day of judgment, but we can face him with confidence because we live like Jesus here in this world. Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear.” God’s perfect love casts out fear. I know I do not love Abby perfectly, but on that morning, I saw what a difference love makes in fear. I praise God for that picture of the little girl who could fall back asleep knowing her auntie was near. I know I am a woman who is loved by my Father, so I can live at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment