If you have
spent any time getting to know me, you will have heard about the anxiety I experience
around flying. It has always seemed like a cruel joke to me that God would call
me to serve cross-culturally and that I would struggle with deep fear regarding
air travel. In 2014, I took 23 flights alone and traveled to 8 different
countries.
Over the
last twenty years, I have prayed repeatedly for God to release me from my fear
of flying. I
have explored the Scriptures, meditated on truth, and tried all
kinds of practical remedies, but I have never found relief.
In the days
leading up to my December 16th flight, I felt my anxiety building. I
shared it with a few different people and asked them to pray with me. I
identified that it was an irrational fear, but one that seemed to hold me
captive anyway. As I lay down to sleep on the night of December 15th,
I again asked God to release me from this anxiety and fear. Suddenly, a picture
came to mind of the woman who had been bleeding for twelve years who came up behind
Jesus in the crowd and touched His robe; full of faith that if she touched His
robe, she would be healed (Mark 5:25-34).
As I played
this story out in my head, peace came over me. I could identify with the woman’s
desperation to be healed and her belief that only Jesus held the answer to her
healing. I believed in that moment I had been set free from my fear and anxiety
related to flying.
The next
morning, I was reflecting more on this woman’s story. I wondered if she ever was
afraid the bleeding would return. How did this woman live out her healing? I
realized that even though I had been set free from my fear, I still had to make
the choice to live in that truth.
It reminded
me of the truth of our salvation. The truth is that I have been forgiven from
my sins and live before God as one without sin. My position in Christ is
secure. However, sometimes, I choose to live outside of this truth. Either I
choose to sin or I choose to live under condemnation, neither of which reflect
the truth of my life.
I believe I
have been healed and freed from my anxiety and fear regarding flying. However,
I still have the choice whether I will live in that truth or retreat into doubt
and fear. In my last four flights, I have chosen to live in the truth of my new
freedom. My continued prayer is that I will learn to walk in truth, both in
regards to my fear and my salvation.

No comments:
Post a Comment