From my
early days of overseas ministry, I was introduced to the acronym RAFT. We were
encouraged to build our RAFT to guide us through our transitions. So here is
what the acronym means…
R:
Reconciliation- Make sure you seek to set things right with people before you
leave or the problems could follow you to your next location.
A:
Affirmation- Take the time to affirm people in your life, communicating what
you appreciate about them.
F: Farewell-
Say goodbye to people, places, and things that have been significant to you
during your time.
T: Think
Destination- Look forward to the next season with joyful anticipation,
preparing yourself for what lies ahead.
![]() |
| Saying goodbye to my favorite barista |
In every
transition, I have attempted to build my RAFT and finish well. I have found it
to be a valuable
exercise, helping me to navigate goodbyes and be prepared for
a new season. This includes taking time to write cards or verbally express how
I appreciate people and places and the impact they have had on my life. I make
sure to seize the moment to say goodbye, in case there is not another
opportunity.
With this
frame of reference, it still surprises me sometimes when people who have been
on the mission field for many years struggle to say goodbye. Were they never
taught the RAFT? Have so many goodbyes become too painful to handle? Is it
working better for them to deny goodbyes are happening?
I had a dear
friend almost refuse my farewell card because she was sure she would see me
again in the next two weeks and wanted to put off the finality of our goodbye.
Last week I
saw a great opportunity to express to another influential person in my life how
I had been impacted by his investment during my time here. He stopped me from
saying anything with the promise to talk to me on Sunday, which would be our
last time seeing one another. No matter how I tried to seize the moment, he
would not let me finish my sentence.
Still other
friends seem surprised when I hand them a card or express my appreciation for
them. They find it unusual and inspiring that I would take the opportunity to
communicate my thankfulness.
Paul
understood the importance of goodbyes. Throughout Acts, you read about Paul
taking the time to say goodbye to the believers in each of the cities where he
stayed, even if that meant going back into town after he had been beaten or
stoned. In Acts 20, Paul called the Ephesian elders together one last time. He
affirmed the work God did among them and the journey God was unfolding for Paul
as he headed to Rome. In verses 36-38, Luke writes, “When he had finished
speaking, he (Paul) knelt and prayed with them. They all cried as they embraced
and kissed him goodbye. They were sad most of all because he had said that they
would never see him again. Then they escorted him down to the ship.”
Goodbyes are
hard, but they are good and they are necessary. I have found such joy and
affirmation in taking the opportunity to say goodbye, expressing thankfulness
for the relationship. Every time I say goodbye in Chiang Mai, I am honoring the
work God has done in my time here and filled with anticipation of what comes
next. Honestly, I have loved my goodbyes.
So I will
continue to take steps to build my RAFT and celebrate the life God has given me
here in Thailand and the life He is preparing for me in Germany, whether others
are willing to embrace the goodbyes or not.

Thanks Kristi! I was not taught to build a RAFT. I think that would have been helpful and I'm so thankful to God that you have this skill and He is helping you to use it well. Praying for your transition and for God to be glorified in all you do.
ReplyDelete