Monday, July 14, 2014

Please Go With Me

One day Moses said to the Lord, ‘You have been telling me, ‘Take these people up to the Promised Land.’ But you haven’t told me whom you will send with me. You have told me, ‘I know you by name, and I look favorably on you.’ If it is true that you look favorably on me, let me know your ways so I may understand you more fully and continue to enjoy your favor. And remember that this nation is your very own people.” The Lord replied, “I will personally go with you, Moses, and I will give you rest—everything will be fine for you. Then Moses said, “If you don’t personally go with us, don’t make us leave this place.  How will anyone know that you look favorably on me—on me and on your people—if you don’t go with us? For your presence among us sets your people and me apart from all other people on the earth.” (Exodus 33:12-16)

As I have been studying through Exodus over the past few months, I found myself resonating with Moses’ sentiment in this passage. God has asked Moses to lead the people to the Promise Land, but Moses has just had another encounter with the people that has left him disheartened. In a moment of clarity and honesty, Moses acknowledges his need to understand God more fully and to continue to enjoy God’s favor to be able to lead the people. Moses recognizes that it is not his own strengths or gifts that are going to mark his success in this journey, but more of God.

I love the scenario Moses gives to God. “If you don’t personally go with us, don’t make us leave this place.” This has been my repeated prayer to God in the last few days since I read this passage. If God doesn’t go with me to Germany, I don’t want to go. To accomplish what God has asked me to do, I need Him to go with me. I have no hope without Him with me.

God has promised to be with His people, so I am counting on His presence to go with me to Germany. This is the source of my strength as I prepare to serve at Black Forest Academy. Please join me in praying that I would understand God more fully, continue to enjoy His favor, and for God’s presence to personally go with me as I fly to Germany next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment